"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Ps. 25:4-5

6.14.2013

From needles to "needles"

I totally planned this post in my head from the moment I got a text from a dear friend that included the words of my title. I sent her a text last night as I was sitting on the couch and I knew she would be beginning her shot cycle for IVF soon. My text said: "A little funny while you are about to be poking yourself. I'm sitting on the couch right now with both girls asleep on me and both of my legs are asleep. This should be interesting." She responded with, "from needles to 'needles'."

Anyway, I was going to write about our sweet friendship that has just blossomed, but I'm feeling a different kind of needles this morning, and like I just told my friend Amy, you don't ignore that calling! "No, you don't," she said.

This morning on my way to take the girls to splash day at daycare, I noticed the sheriff's department had the ramp onto the interstate blocked off and traffic was beginning to back up tremendously in the other direction. With me being my father's daughter, I turned on the scanner app I have on my phone to see if I could figure out what was going on. No luck. So, I called Daniel and he quickly said there was a very bad accident involving multiple motorcycles. I had some errands to run and took the back way to get to the place I needed to go, but opted for taking the interstate back home thinking the accident would be mostly if not all cleared up. Nope! As I approached the scene, I felt those needles!! You know that feeling when you hear God whispering in your ear or tapping lightly on your shoulder? Well, He was pushing me out of my truck!!! Now, let me just give you a mental image... These are HUGE men with HUGE muscles and God is telling me to go pray with them???? No! I'm scared, God. PUSH! I pulled over on the side of the interstate, turned on my flashers, and put it in park. My heart was about to pound out of my chest as I'm walking up to these men. When I got there, I asked one of them if this was their family. Tears were streaming constantly down his face as he held a sweet little girl. He just shook his head yes that this was his family. I quietly asked if I could pray with them and it was at that time that this HUGE man with HUGE muscles melted in my arms as we knelt on the side of the interstate with another family member to pray. I had no idea what to say to these precious people so I kept saying how sorry I was for them. As I walked away, one man just kept yelling at me to please keep praying for them. In the words of Michelle from Full House, you got it dude! I broke down immediately as I got back in my truck and couldn't help but think of another dear friend who's brother was in a very similar accident several years ago when she and I first met. I prayed for her, her brother, and the rest of her family. I'm asking you all to stop what you're doing and pray for this family. Pray for their hurting hearts. Pray for their anger. Pray for their strength. Pray for their healing. Prayer is powerful!

Sometimes we are called to step outside the box. Go beyond what we are used to or comfortable with. Don't ignore that calling!!!

5 comments:

Christen said...

That's awesome that you stopped. What a blessing to those hurting.

Kayla said...

Found your blog through Megan at 'Tis So Sweet. Wow! Your post brought tears to my eyes! I am sure you were a very needed blessing to that family that was hurting. I heard about the accident this morning on the news. :(

Megan said...

My favorite post you've written! Goosebumps. What if we all got out of our box when he pushed?

TheMorans said...

Your such an amazing person!!

The Culpepper's said...

Thanks y'all! I don't know what kind of inspiration or blessing or an amazing person I am, but I am a child of God. That I do know for a fact.