"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Ps. 25:4-5

6.19.2010

A Dead Snake is the only Good Snake...



That's what I always say! I am deathly afraid of snakes and we've already seen two in the past month! One was a chicken snake that showed up next to our garage dooor after we'd cut down a dead tree. We saw it after returning from a nice and relaxing dinner. Daniel and my dad took care of it since the fire was still hot from our work with the tree all day. The other one decided to show his face as I was stooped over in my flowerbeds today. With one hand I was holding up my lantana plants, and with the other hand I was spraying the weeds when this snake nearly slithered over my hand. Those of you who know me know that I dropped everything and ran squealing to the neighbor's yard. Our neighbors are just as scared of snakes as I am. So, we just stood there while our other neighbor looked for the snake in my flowerbed. She poked around amongst my elephant ears and daylilies until we hear, "There you are! Come on out here." I'm thinking at this point if this lady is really talking to this snake!!! Well, then she blinked! The snake got away and ran to the corner of our back patio as she cooed over it. Finally, she killed it with several chops of a gardening hoe. I guess from now on I'll have to have the kaiser blade close by when I'm on the patio drinking my coffee and reading my book. Gracious me!




1 comment:

Nick Scobel said...

It's unfortunate that your fear of snakes results in the killing of them. Snakes are incredibly beneficial predators which help control rodent populations and other obnoxious pests. Snakes have always been present where you live, and as we humans build homes into rural areas, run ins with snakes can be expected. Both of the snake species you killed are completely harmless and would have gone on their way had you just walked away.